Header

close

Contact details

Township Zug
Stadthaus am Kolinplatz
Gubelstrasse 22
6301 Zug
Map

Opening hours city hall:

Monday to Friday

08.00 - 12.00 / 13.30 - 17.00

Content

Inhalt

Sightseeing

This 52 metre high landmark of Zug dominates the historical part of the town. It dates back to the thirteenth century tower constructed by Hans Felder from 1478 to 1480. The steep hipped roof and the look-out chamber over the roofs of Zug were added in 1557.

Clock Tower

This 52 metre high landmark of Zug dominates the historical part of the town. It dates back to the thirteenth century tower constructed by Hans Felder from 1478 to 1480. The steep hipped roof and the look-out chamber over the roofs of Zug were added in 1557.
Tradition tells the story of Margarethe Schell, a well-known character in the town, known as Greth. In early times she apparently had to extract her drunken husband from his drinking haunts in the early hours of the morning, and carry him home in a basket on her back.

Greth Schell Fountain

Tradition tells the story of Margarethe Schell, a well-known character in the town, known as Greth. In early times she apparently had to extract her drunken husband from his drinking haunts in the early hours of the morning, and carry him home in a basket on her back.
There are several historic squares in Zug: Landsgemeinde Square, Kolin Square (formerly Linden Square) with the Kolin fountain (illustrated) or Hirsch Square with the old Mint.

Historic Squares

There are several historic squares in Zug: Landsgemeinde Square, Kolin Square (formerly Linden Square) with the Kolin fountain (illustrated) or Hirsch Square with the old Mint.
The exact date of the building of the Huwiler Tower is not documented, but, according to the historian Linus Birchler, must be around 1524/25. Other sources give the date as 1519, and attribute the building to Master Builder Huwiler, but the name of the tower today refers to a later proprietor of the same name, who owned the tower in 1697. The tower was part of the third wall, built to defend the town but never put to the test. It was used to store gunpowder and other material.

Huwiler Tower

The exact date of the building of the Huwiler Tower is not documented, but, according to the historian Linus Birchler, must be around 1524/25. Other sources give the date as 1519, and attribute the building to Master Builder Huwiler, but the name of the tower today refers to a later proprietor of the same name, who owned the tower in 1697. The tower was part of the third wall, built to defend the town but never put to the test. It was used to store gunpowder and other material.
The chapel of Our Dear Lady was first documented in 1266 and is the oldest house of God on Zug soil. The picture of the life-cycle of Mary which covers the ceiling from the chancel to the gallery was painted by the well-known baroque artist, Johannes Brandenberg from Zug, and is well worth seeing.

Liebfrauen Chapel

The chapel of Our Dear Lady was first documented in 1266 and is the oldest house of God on Zug soil. The picture of the life-cycle of Mary which covers the ceiling from the chancel to the gallery was painted by the well-known baroque artist, Johannes Brandenberg from Zug, and is well worth seeing.
The Powder Tower was built during the turmoil surrounding the Reformation from 1522 to 1532, and was originally used to store gunpowder. It was not until 1863 that over one ton of gunpowder was transferred from the tower to a safer place on common land on the outskirts of Zug. The tower has an inside diameter of 8.5 metres, and at the lower level the thickness of the wall is 2.7 metres! Custodians of the tower are the historic guild known as the “Great, Powerful and Invincible Council of Zug”.

Powder Tower

The Powder Tower was built during the turmoil surrounding the Reformation from 1522 to 1532, and was originally used to store gunpowder. It was not until 1863 that over one ton of gunpowder was transferred from the tower to a safer place on common land on the outskirts of Zug. The tower has an inside diameter of 8.5 metres, and at the lower level the thickness of the wall is 2.7 metres! Custodians of the tower are the historic guild known as the “Great, Powerful and Invincible Council of Zug”.
Since November 28, 2003, the railway station in Zug has become the gateway to the town - and a meeting place flooded with light. As darkness falls, the lighting installation created by the artist James Turrell transforms the imposing station building into a floating luminous entity. And this is achieved purely with the three colours: red, blue and green, plus the various nuances that result from the flowing movement of colour.

Railway Station, Zug

Since November 28, 2003, the railway station in Zug has become the gateway to the town - and a meeting place flooded with light. As darkness falls, the lighting installation created by the artist James Turrell transforms the imposing station building into a floating luminous entity. And this is achieved purely with the three colours: red, blue and green, plus the various nuances that result from the flowing movement of colour.
The richly decorated Gothic “Doorway of Kings” is the entrance to one of the most significant late-Gothic church buildings in Switzerland (built in 1478), with its plain elegant interior. The baroque Bossard organ and the original choir stalls are particularly worth seeing.

St. Oswald's Church

The richly decorated Gothic “Doorway of Kings” is the entrance to one of the most significant late-Gothic church buildings in Switzerland (built in 1478), with its plain elegant interior. The baroque Bossard organ and the original choir stalls are particularly worth seeing.
It is said that nowhere in the world does the sun set more beautifully than over Lake Zug!

Sunset

It is said that nowhere in the world does the sun set more beautifully than over Lake Zug!
The late-gothic town hall (built around 1505) provides the backdrop to the Fish Market on the lake side of the Clock Tower. This imposing building belongs to the municipality, and houses the Gothic Room on the third floor: the rich filigree wood carvings in this room never fail to impress. The former court room is baroque, and now used today by the council as a conference room.

Town Hall

The late-gothic town hall (built around 1505) provides the backdrop to the Fish Market on the lake side of the Clock Tower. This imposing building belongs to the municipality, and houses the Gothic Room on the third floor: the rich filigree wood carvings in this room never fail to impress. The former court room is baroque, and now used today by the council as a conference room.
As early as the 9th century the Counts of Lenzburg had the first secular building constructed on what is today the castle area. Following this a village with the name Zuige or Ziuge was erected nearby.

Zug Castle

As early as the 9th century the Counts of Lenzburg had the first secular building constructed on what is today the castle area. Following this a village with the name Zuige or Ziuge was erected nearby.
This patrician residence, once home of the now extinct noble Zurlauben family, stands on the southern edge of the town. The three-storey manor house, built between 1597 and 1621 by Jost Knopfli, has wonderful baroque rooms and an imposing banqueting hall. St. Conrad’s Chapel dates from the year 1623. The property is private and not open to the public.

Zurlaubenhof

This patrician residence, once home of the now extinct noble Zurlauben family, stands on the southern edge of the town. The three-storey manor house, built between 1597 and 1621 by Jost Knopfli, has wonderful baroque rooms and an imposing banqueting hall. St. Conrad’s Chapel dates from the year 1623. The property is private and not open to the public.