The Powder Tower was built during the turmoil surrounding the Reformation from 1522 to 1532, and was originally used to store gunpowder. It was not until 1863 that over one ton of gunpowder was transferred from the tower to a safer place on common land on the outskirts of Zug. The tower has an inside diameter of 8.5 metres, and at the lower level the thickness of the wall is 2.7 metres! Custodians of the tower are the historic guild known as the “Great, Powerful and Invincible Council of Zug”.
Tip: The lower rooms of the tower can be put to a variety of uses, thanks to the good infrastructure. They are hired out to private persons, clubs, organisations and companies for their different events.
Address: Zugerbergstrasse, 6300 Zug
Tel. +41 (0)41 723 68 00